Hordes of Darkness

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

My thoughts on the game and the format

kowalski
    kowalski
    Judge
    Judge

My thoughts on the game and the format Empty My thoughts on the game and the format

Post  kowalski Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:50 am

Hey guys...Lack of time and some technical difficulties are keeping me from posting on this forum these days, however i found some time to post and an interesting topic to discuss about...

I hear many people complaining about how the game is played these days, how much it has changed, how fast paced it is, how much less skill it takes than it used to etc etc.

I don't belong in that category of players. I think that those are just people who miss the old times of yu gi oh and cannot adjust to the new playstyle. And altough I'm a new player, able to adjust in the changes of the game and don't have a taste of how the game was back then, I don't think i would like normal monster beatdown formats.

Let's see things from the "awful format" point of view. Many people complain about the fact that 3-4 decks dominate the top spots of large-tournaments and thus there is no creativity.Here is my response to this.

We see that a single deck took almost all the top 8 places on a large YCS almost 2 formats ago. Sounds way worse than 3 differet decks in top 4 spots in a European Championship. I'm not saying that we have a bigger variety of decks these days than last year. All I'm saying, is that Yu-Gi-Oh! (and most card games in general) has always been like this. There have always been the so-called "top decks" that dominated most tournaments. I hear people saying "I miss the time when GBs were tier 1". And this is were I want to make my point. What has changed, is not that there are a few decks better than others. It's the power creep that has increased. By "power creep" we mean how powerful the cards are now.

I agree, that sounds bad, and it is. Don't forget, however that it does not only apply to tier 1 decks. A single Grapha is able to give Rabbit nightmares while Dark Worlds in general are quite a powerful, fun to play and above all, cheap deck. The shaping of this format has shown the true power of Elemental HERO the Shining making HEROs again quite a competitive deck. Unfortunately no, you cannot take crystal beasts to a competitive level and yeah you can't top with something completely original, you are somewhat forced to use Archetypes or well-known and much-used combos that are obvious and easy to pull out.

That does not mean, however that the game does not require skill or is completely luck based, arguements I hear from inexperienced players. I'm sorry, but if you are facing inzektors, you hold sangan in firt hand and don't set it in order to grab veiler quickly (I've seen this exact same case, and many others like that), then you will never understand how skill, mind-reading or even common sense play a big part in this game. If you have a Kabazauls out, your opponent sets one s/t and you just proceed to summon the second Kabazauls and your opponent flips torrential and you complain about how unlucky you were and how your opponent had everthing he needed, then you will never have what it takes to win or top a tournament. And so on and so on...

So in general, I'd say that the game could be way more balanced with a proper banlist, but that does not mean, that it's not fun anymore...I would say I actually like this format and look forwart to the next banlist to see if it will get better.
    Nemessie
    Nemessie

My thoughts on the game and the format Empty Re: My thoughts on the game and the format

Post  Nemessie Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:36 am

Just thinking, the broken decks like Inzektors could get a Semi-Limit on Hornet.... I think what usual people would want is a bigger Tier 1. If Tier 1 was made of 8-10 different decks, there would be interest. But anyways, those things were well said. I agreed to every single word.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:26 am